Our volunteers are committed to furthering that mission by supporting our staff, programs and events dedicated to providing humane treatment, improved quality of life and placement into forever homes for the animals in our care.
Volunteer opportunities are available at each of our three St. Louis area shelters - Chesterfield Valley, Maryland Heights and St. Louis City, at Longmeadow Rescue Ranch in Union, MO and from your own home as a Foster Parent. Learn more about each opportunity:
If you are under the age of 18, we encourage you to look into ways to get involved through our Education Department or collecting items on our Wish List to help the shelter animals.
The Humane Society of Missouri strives to be environmentally friendly and primarily utilizes electronic communications and online training. If you are not able to proceed with our online applications, please call 314.951.1577 for assistance.
Is volunteering at the Humane Society of Missouri right for you? We hope so!
We have a variety of opportunities based on your availability, interest and skills. Check out all the information below about our different programs to find your purrfect place to volunteer.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities are a great fit for volunteers that fit the following outlines:
- Commit to a minimum of six months of service
- Contribute an average of 2 hours per week
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have regular access to an email account and internet connection to access your volunteer page. If you do not have internet/email we encourage you to visit your local library
- Attend volunteer orientations. Orientation are held 2-3 times a month and fill up quickly.
- Youth 16-18 can participate in our Animal Reading Program at our Macklind Shelter or become involved through our Education Department.
- Shelter volunteers are required the pay a one-time volunteer fee of $15 to cover the costs of administrative processing, training materials, volunteer t-shirt and other costs that will allow more resources to go directly to our animals. The volunteer fee is waived for volunteers contributing at Longmeadow Rescue Ranch and our Foster Parent program, however, you are encouraged to contribute the $15 and will receive the t-shirt for your donation. This volunteer fee is non-refundable, regardless of your ability to continue as a volunteer for any reason.
Please note, that our animal handling roles will not be credited for court-ordered or any other service requirement completion. Please review our Short Term opportunities below.
Short-Term Volunteer Opportunities are a great fit for volunteers who:
- Cannot make a six-month, weekly commitment
- Need service hours for court, school or other requirements
- Are not able to pay the $15 volunteer fee
- Have special needs and will be volunteering with an aid
- Are able to provide a minimum of 20 hours of service for opportunities at one of our St. Louis area shelters; no minimum requirement for short term volunteering at Longmeadow Rescue Ranch.
Short term volunteer opportunities at our St. Louis area shelters will often include help keeping bedding and other kennel materials clean and ready for our animals, general shelter cleaning and possibly office projects. Occasionally, hours may be available at our annual special events. Short term roles at Longmeadow Rescue Ranch will include cleaning, painting and other non-animal contact assistance at the ranch.
Are you ready to volunteer?
Complete our volunteer application below and select the opportunity that is the best fit for what you are looking for and what you are able to contribute to the Humane Society of Missouri.
We have one single volunteer application, but many of our volunteers participate in more than one opportunity. We ask that you start off by selecting the opportunity you are most interested in and to not fill out the application more than once.
If you have any questions please contact us via email or call 314.951.1577